|    About Us     |     Services     |     FAQ    |     TESOL Online      |     Contact     |

 Info Seminar


 Course Dates










 TESOL online







Quick Facts

  1. Guaranteed job, airfare and accommodation.

  2. No age limit.

  3. No Degree or experience necessary.

  4. 25,000 jobs worldwide.

  5. No Need to speak the local language.

  6. Study in-class, online or by correspondence.

Keep in mind that when you are teaching overseas, there are seldom set rules that apply in every given situation. Rules vary from country to country, and each school is different. As a result, so will each situation vary from one job to another, and the following questions and answers may or may not apply to you.


How much money will I make in American dollars?
This depends entirely on where you are living. Rich countries can pay you more than poor countries and countries with a lot of tourists don't pay as much as countries off the beaten track. What you are looking for, though, is a country that pays well when compared to the cost of living. Germany, for example, pays several thousand dollars a month, but the cost of living also happens to be several thousand dollars a month. And don't forget that in most cases you are not exempt from local income tax. Jobs range between $200 dollars and $4000 dollars a month. Most countries, however, pay their English teachers enough to live well. Most countries in Asia, the Middle East and Eastern Europe provide excellent saving opportunities. Be warned, however, some cities like Paris and Rio cost more money a month to live in than it does to work in.

Will I be paid in Canadian dollars or in the local currency?
Almost without exception, you will always be paid in local currency. The sums quoted to you in the job descriptions are usually a rough estimate. Remember to send your money home over the year rather than save it up as one lump shipment, as this will cost you if the exchange rate is not in your favour. Also, some countries put a limit (for example, one month's salary) on how much you can legally send home. Sending the money home in 12 installments will also protect you if the currency exchange takes a sudden nosedive.

How often and in what way will I be paid?
Most schools pay their teachers once a month, usually on a given day. Schools will either pay you with an envelope of cash on payday, directly deposit it into your account, or issue you a cheque. Regardless of by what method, your school should also help you with setting up a bank account and teach you how to use a bank machine.

How many holidays will I be able to have?
Most countries have one national holiday off a month, which your school will observe. Your contract should also state one to five weeks off, depending on the country. Both you and the school should agree on when this time can be taken off, but remember, if it is not in the contract and you do not ask for it to be put in the contract before you sign it, you will not be getting any time off at all.

Is airfare included?
Again, sometimes. If it is in the job description that it is included, it is included. South Korea and China always include airfare. Other countries will pay for return airfare only after the contract is completed. Do some checking around for the cheapest airfares.

Where will you send me?
We don't send you anywhere. You apply for the jobs just like the regular application process through your resume and introduction letter. No one should find a job for you, nor should you trust anyone to know what is best for you. This is an adventure, but it is also a year of your life. If that is not worth a week or so of research, I don't know what is.

How will I know if it's a good job?
By doing your research. We go through every question that you should be asking your future employer, as well as teachers who are already working for your school. If the teachers working there are happy, then chances are you will be happy as well.

What if I have to go home suddenly due to an emergency?
You must have a multiple reentry visa on your passport. You can get this through your country's immigration office. You can't get this at the airport, so get it as soon as you arrive. If you do have to return, make sure your director knows when to expect you back. Most contracts have a clause permitting you to go home in case of emergencies.

What if I hate my job?
Hopefully, you will have done your research and this question will never come up. If it does, however, and you want to quit, make sure you are familiar with what your contract states about quitting. Most countries require that you give X number of days notice before you can start working elsewhere. Others are more prohibitive than that. South Korea, for example, requires that you leave the country for the duration of your valid work visa if you quit, getting fired means you can work the next day for another school.

How do I send money home?
Banks and post offices will wire money home for a fee. We discuss other methods in the class.

How do I do it anyway?
We really don't suggest that you do. But we do show you some ways not to get caught. Remember, however, that your full-paying job always comes first.

What if I get caught?
You will be deported and fined. Please don't get caught.

What do I do if I get caught doing anything illegal?
Depends on what you are caught doing. Minor offenses will get you deported and fined. Major offenses depend on where you are. In some countries you will be tried as a citizen and sent to local jails. In other countries, you will be executed. All the Canadian Consulate in your country can do is give you a list of lawyers that speak English in your country. Don't do drugs. We cover in our manual several other things to be wary of.

How long does an average work visa last?
Normally one year. Each country has different visa-granting rules and regulations, and these rules and regulations change regularly. We encourage you to contact the consulate or embassy of the country in question prior to departure for exact details. Be sure to find the contact information of your home countries (Canada, America, etc.) embassy in the country where you are going.

When my contract ends, how do I find a new English teaching job in another
   foreign country?

E-mail or call the Global TESOL College once you graduate from our program. You automatically become part of the Global TESOL family Alumni-for a lifetime of job assistance and we would love to help you with any TESOL certification, study or work related issues.

NOTE: If you have a question that has not been answered below, or if you would like to speak to one of our Global TESOL advisors concerning upcoming course dates, registration, or any other matter, feel free to e-mail us at: (Global Tesol malaysia e-mail add)
You are also welcome to call us on (Global Tesol Malaysia phone number)

Back To FAQ main Page

FAQ on teaching abroad

FAQ on working abroad

FAQ on living abroad

FAQ on TESOL certification


All Rights Reserved. 2003. www.globaltesol.com.my